Suzy in the Sunflowers

Suzy in the Sunflowers

Friday, December 7, 2012

Trotting Turkeys and Flying Elves


November was a very busy month for us. I feel like I woke up one day and it was November 1st and the next day it was November 30th. I have fallen behind on my blogs with all the exciting things going on.
In early November Kalon and I signed up to participate in The Turkey Trot at the school. The PTO hosted the 5K in order to raise money for the middle school. It was a lot of fun. After finishing the race they announced the winners and I was not on the list (no shock there), but Kalon was. I finished a couple minutes before her, but I assumed that I could not win because I was a teacher at the school. I went to ask the time keepers what my time was just so I would know how fast/slow I ran it. After looking at the times they realized that I had actually won 2nd place in my age group. I, by no means, was looking for a medal or any recognition when I asked for my time. I was thrilled to know that I finished it in 30 minutes 22 seconds (I think that was right), but cannot believe that I actually placed second. Kalon finished 3rd in our age group and a friend of ours, Jamie, won first. It was a fun little morning.
We may have gotten caught "pregaming". hahahahaha
 

Sue Baby was happy for Mama!
 
She thinks she must be in all photos. She was jus so excited!
After Thanksgiving I started putting up our Christmas tree and setting out holiday decorations inside and outside. It dawned on me as I was hanging stockings and decorating our Christmas tree how different our lives are this year. Last year we didn’t decorate for Christmas or exchange many gifts at all. Scott and I were preparing for a baby and really didn’t want to spend the unnecessary money considering we were having a baby that was due January 22. We decided we would save our money and I decided that I wouldn’t decorate, because I didn’t want to get all the stuff down from the attic or put it back up while I was 9 months pregnant. This year, on the other hand, has been much different. We have been in full Christmas spirit. I finished the Christmas tree early last week and we placed the finishing touches on the outside of the house this past weekend.
Three stockings this year instead of two :)
I have always made fun of my mom’s tree. I really didn’t like Christmas trees that didn’t match or have a theme. Hers never does. It drove me crazy. She told me, “once you have kids you will understand”. Well, she was right. I have ALWAYS had a themed tree. The past couple years I have used birds, feathers, browns, and greens on my tree. This year I used the same ideas, but instead of it ALL being matched and pretty I have two straggler ornaments. Of course, they are ornaments that people gave me as gifts for our precious little Suzy. My matchy, matchy tree is slowling losing its matchiness and I couldn’t be more happy.
My last "themed" tree, I guess!

This was  gift from my sweet cousin, Jade.

This was my Christmas present from The Fosters last year.

People have also told me that I needed to start traditions with Suzy now. I have followed the commands and tried to start things with her. I tried making Christmas ornaments using her handprints and footprints. That turned out to be a flop. The “clay” that we used to make the impressions dried and cracked. One night last week I read The Elf on the Shelf to her before bed. I think I enjoyed “reading” it to her more than she enjoyed hearing it. The next morning her Elf showed up and surprised her in the car. Then, our Elf didn’t move for a couple days. She was bad, so Elf didn’t report back to Santa. Finally, Elf reported good behavior Friday night. She came back and sat on a Christmas present from Laurie and waited for Suzy to wake up. Suzy woke up, saw Elf, grabbed Elf, and started eating Elf’s legs off. Elf lost her magic after only four days of existence at the Smith household. I told Suzy that I was not sure what would happen to Elf, but that I hope she would have another chance to fly to see Santa…. I guess we will see?!

"Hey! Hey you! What do you think you're doing my my car?" -- Suzy Smith

She was happy to see Elf. Yes, she was wearing Halloween Pajamas, but they still fit and she must sleep in something. Can you tell that she didn't wake up until I sat her in the car?
Suzy's hand and foot imprints BEFORE they cracked to pieces!
I also was given the bright idea to do some fingerpainting with her for Christmas Cards to the grandparents. Well, that was a huge disaster as well. She is too old and busy for me to do it for her, but she is too little to undertsand the concept. It was quite the experience. Thanks for nothing, Jill.

It must have tasted pretty darn good.


The paper plate was much prettier than the Christmas Card.

Our attempt.

Masterpiece.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment